bleach spill Hollywood, Fl

— The piercing stench of chlorine could be smelled for a couple of blocks.

 

Firefighters had about 1,000 gallons of chlorine to clean up from the back of a pool business in the 600 block of North State Road 7 on Saturday afternoon.

 

The tank, located in the rear of Happy Pools, toppled around 1 p.m. when the small building where it was set collapsed, said Hollywood Fire Battalion Chief Larry LaTorre.

Several streets including Buchanan Street at State Road 7 were blocked to pedestrians and vehicle traffic. Several businesses and a small apartment building had to be evacuated for several hours.

 

Chlorine can be extremely dangerous, especially when it is combined with other chemicals such as ammonia. It can create explosive compounds and gases that are toxic to breathe. Chlorine also reacts with metals and heat and can cause fires.

 

Residents were told to wait behind the cordoned-off streets while crews armed with protective gear cleaned up the spilled chemical.

 

"They just told us to stay away," said resident Wendy Fratto, who was home when the tank spilled. "There was a big bang. You could smell it and as the wind picked up it got stronger."

 

Rescue crews were working to neutralize the caustic substance with sodium sulfide.

 

"What we're looking to do is to turn the product into salt water," LaTorre said.

 

No one was injured in the incident.